I hate sales calls.
Somehow, a few of them manage to get through the receptionists. It's always some company twelve states away that wants to provide "local, cost-effective solutions for my IT needs". They're offering products I won't use and services I don't need.
When I ask to be removed from one list, they gladly comply...right after moving me to another company's list.
Once, after 100 calls in two months from a company named Insight Direct, I simply picked up the phone, yelled and hung up. Apparently that was the secret code to get off their cold-call list!
Lately, I've been thinking of more proactive and creative ways to achieve the same result. Without further ado, here are:
7 Ways to Get Cold Call Sales Folks to Leave You the Heck Alone
- Say, "I have to go. I'm being eaten by goblins."
- Say, "I've really got to cut this short - I'm next in line to jump in the wood chipper."
- Suddenly forget English. "Que?"
- Put the sales person on hold while I transfer them back and forth between me and my alter ego, Crazy Jim.
- Offer them my company's services. Tit for tat!
- Give one sales person's contact information to another sales person.
- Ask for more information. "Compooters? What's that? They do what now? Wait, you're going too fast - start at the beginning."
Do you hate cold sales calls?
What tactics do you use?